The Stumble to the Rumble

The trip started with such optimism. We gotten three trucks prepared to take on The Road to the Rumble, a laid back cruise up to the Hot Rod Rock & Rumble at PPIR in Colorado, our bags were packed, we were ready to hit the open road as a shop and get to the cooler mountain weather. But then a good, hard case of reality set in.
We had a few new faces join us at the shop for our “Road to the Rumble”, a cruise that we invited strangers on so they could caravan out to the show, and Bob Boileau, the owner of PPIR and the Hot Rod Rock & Rumble’s mastermind. We hit the road around 10am with our sites set on Amarillo for the night. It should have been a nice, leisurely 5 and a half hour cruise up to the panhandle before the sun went down and the rain could catch up with us. It should have been, it wasn’t.
Our first stop was at Buccee’s for fuel and snacks. If you’ve never been to a Buccee’s or know what it is think of a Wal-Mart and a gas station having a baby and that’s essentially what a Buccee’s feels like. As we set back out on the road Jason started to feel an unusual sensation in the clutch pedal. Pretty soon the pedal was completely gone. By the time we got to Wichita Falls to stop for fuel we couldn’t get the truck running again without finding a replacement hydraulic hose first. After hours of searching at every hose supply place in town we threw in the towel and loaded Jason’s C10 up on the trailer and towed it the rest of the day. There wasn’t a whole lot of eventfulness the rest of the day… unless you count the deluge of rain that hit us as we were rolling through Claude. The time we lost trying to track down hoses and stuff the weather that we were trying to beat caught up with us and starting dumping buckets and buckets of water on us as the sun was setting. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal but we were in trucks from the 60s (that may or may not have had windshield wipers on them) and a couple from ’36. But in spite of a few moments of drama we made it Amarillo unscathed and without further incident. To celebrate we ate ourselves silly at the Big Texan.
The next morning we woke up early so we could hit the road and be to the show by noon to set up our booth and get the most out of the Friday at the show. Again, that was our plan. When we were leaving the hotel the transition from the brick crosswalk to the concrete street was too much for Jon’s mono leaf to bear and it snapped in two, sending a shower of sparks behind Jon’s ’62 F-100 onto the front of the ’36 Ford coupe. When we got to breakfast we all got on our phones and set to work googling spring shops in Amarillo and found one not too far from the breakfast spot we were at. After we finished out bacon, eggs, and toast we hit the road and headed to Jute, the spring shop around the corner. A couple of hours and a a couple of spring revisions later we were back on the road and that had given Jason time to find a hose shop that had what he needed so we could roll all the way to Colorado as a group again.
By the time we left the parking lot where we had repaired our trucks it was already well past lunchtime and almost time for us to be in Colorado Springs, five and a half hours away. Needless to say that we weren’t going to make it on time but we tried our best to get there as quickly as we could without further incident. We rolled into Pikes Peak International Raceway right around sunset and went to get our cars and trucks registered for the show. On the entry paperwork it asked for our club affiliation so on the spot we christened ourselves as “The Brohammers”. Having missed most of the first day of the show we stayed late into the night, listening to bands, talking trucks with some guys from El Paso, and just soaking up as much mountain ambiance as we could before turning in for the night.
Saturday we made it back out to the track and the show without any drama! Finally the days seemed to be going more smoothly for us! Luckily that good fortune lasted through the entire day. Aaron got to do some super secret filming project (more info on that later), Jason and Jon got to check out the show with me in tow, and Bob and Aaron hosted the burnout contest at the end of the day, all the while Robin and Rachel manned our stall in the pits and sold shirts while Dappa Dan and his crew gave hair cuts. The final cut of the day was given to Aaron before we could head out to the stage and see Reverend Horton Heat to cap off the evening.
The Rev put on a killer show and ended the show on just about the highest note that anyone could hope for! If you missed the show this year you can live vicariously through the photo gallery on this post and make sure to mark your calendars for the event next year!

Show CommentsClose Comments

Leave a comment